There's nothing quite like southern comfort food and we are excited to share this reduced-guilt spin on a classic - Fried Green Tomatoes - whipped up by our friend Rachel Bailey with Rachel Bakes at Home. These feature our Yep! Shake Original Seasoning which is chocked full of rich ingredients, including paprika, onion, and garlic powder to bring the tomatoes and remoulade to life. It also happens to be gluten free!
For the tomatoes:
For the remoulade:
- 4 medium unripe green tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil (more if needed)
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup white corn meal
- 1 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tsp Yep! Shake Original seasoning
HOW TO MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN:
- Preheat to 400 F.
- Line two cookie sheets with aluminum foil and coat with olive oil and spread with brush.
- Chop green tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices/rounds.
- Using three separate bowls set out corn meal, breadcrumbs, and buttermilk.
- Add the seasoning to the buttermilk and stir.
- Going one slice at a time, dip the slice in corn meal. Shake off excess and submerge in buttermilk mixture. Shake off and drips and then coat both sides in breadcrumbs.
- Place each slice on the foil lined sheets, then flip to make sure both sides are coated in the olive oil. Add more oil if needed to ensure all slices are coated on both sides.
- Bake for 12 minutes and then use spatula to flip all slices over. Then place back in oven for about 14 minutes - until golden brown.
- While the tomatoes are in the oven, whip up your remoulade by combine mayo, mustard, garlic and seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm with remoulade and enjoy!