We adore fresh okra just about any way it’s prepared… fried, pickled, stewed with tomatoes, and even right off the vine. But this Skillet Kissed Okra has become one of our favorites, especially in our family restaurant Blue Moon Specialty Foods located in Spartanburg, SC. Many of our “regulars” come in multiple times a week to order up our famous Heirloom Tomato BLT with a side of this heavenly okra. It’s super simple, amazingly not slimy, healthier than it’s friend the fried okra, and seasoned to perfection just our Yep! Shake Original Seasoning.
- 1 pound of fresh okra, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp. of butter
Yep! Shake Original seasoning to taste
HOW TO MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN:
- Slice okra in half, lengthwise
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pro tip: use clarified butter, which has a higher smoke point and makes it ideal for pan frying or sautéing.
- Place okra seed side down, creating a nice sear.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes depending on toughness of the okra. You may even wish to press down on the okra in the pan with a spatula to help create a nice hard sear.
- Flip and season with Yep! Shake Original Seasoning to taste and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.