These Yep! Greek Grilled Chicken Gyros are a refreshingly light take on traditional gyros - perfect for summer! Big thanks for our friend Elizabeth with Jam Jar Kitchen for dreaming these up!
- Gas grill
- Grill tongs or spatula
- Plastic freezer bag
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Pan or skillet (optional)
For the chicken
To assemble the gyros
- 1 ½ to 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4th cup olive oil
- 1/4th cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Yep! Shake Greek seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Gyro bread (naan bread will also work)
- Tzatziki - see recipe here!
- Arugula or baby Spinach (optional)
- Feta Cheese (optional)
- Greek cucumber salad (optional) – see recipe here!
HOW TO MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN:
- Place chicken thighs in a large freezer bag. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine olive oil, Greek yogurt, Yep! Shake Greek Seasoning, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, and the zest and juice of 1 lemon. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken thighs and seal the freezer bag. Allow chicken to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Take your marinated chicken thighs out of the fridge and allow them to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat your grill on medium high heat until very hot (5-10 minutes).
- Place chicken thighs on the grill and cook over medium high heat with the lid closed for 5-6 minutes. Flip chicken to the other side and continue to grill over medium high heat for an additional 5-6 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from the grill and place in a foil lined pan. Loosely cover with foil and allow chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- While the chicken is resting, toast your gyro bread.
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat until hot. Rub a little olive oil on both sides of the gyro (or naan) bread and cook in the pan for about 1-2 minutes per side until soft and pliable. Wrap in foil to keep warm until you assemble your gyros.
- Assemble the chicken gyros.
- Slice the grilled chicken thighs. Spread a little tzatziki on the gyro bread and then add chicken thigh slices. Add toppings of your choice and enjoy!