We love Southwestern flavors and this Mexican Chicken Casserole has so many things we love in one easy dish! Perfect for a weeknight meal the whole family will love! A big thanks to our friend Elizabeth with Jam Jar Kitchen for preparing this delicious recipe for all of us to enjoy.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat roughly shredded
- 2 tbsp Yep! Shake Southwest Seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 - 15 oz can corn, drained
- 1 – 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 – 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2/3rd cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cup green enchilada sauce (or salsa verde)
- 8 medium corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 2 cups shredded Mexican style cheese
- Tortilla chips (crushed)
- Avocado, sliced or diced
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Sliced jalapenos
HOW TO MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine shredded rotisserie chicken, diced bell pepper, corn, diced tomatoes, diced green chiles, Yep! Shake Southwestern Seasoning and sour cream. Mix thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
- Add about 3/4th cup of green enchilada sauce (or salsa verde) to the bottom of a casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Arrange half of the corn tortillas pieces (about 4 tortillas worth) evenly on top of the sauce to cover completely.
- Pour about half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and carefully spread to cover. Then sprinkle about 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over the mixture.
- Arrange the remaining tortillas over the cheese to cover completely then pour over the remaining 3/4th cup of enchilada sauce. Spread evenly over the tortillas.
- Add the remaining chicken mixture and then top with the rest of the cheese (about 1 cup).
- Cover the casserole dish with a lid or aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Then remove the lid or foil and bake for and additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the casserole if bubbly.
- You may want to broil for about 1 minute at the end to brown the cheese. Just make sure to watch closely so that it doesn't burn!
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Add toppings of your choice and enjoy!